Friday, March 27, 2009

The Monster's Make-Up

Today I will post a special interview between myself and Steve Meadows, creative artist and horror aficionado. Steve grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where he went to high school with Tom Savini. Out of high school Steve began working on low-budget independent films and going to school for special effects and makeup.

Ron McKnight: Steve, thank you for joining us here on Strange Brew. What first got you interested in masks and monsters?

Steve Meadows: Well, growing up I watched all the classic horror films I could get my hands on. The cheesier the better, I loved it. I was obsessed with The Creature From The Black Lagoon. I wanted to be able to create monsters like that.

RM: What were some of the first projects you worked on?

SM: As kids we were always thinking up crazy stories and acting them out. Creating masks and monster make-up was always my favorite.

RM: What was the most fun you ever had working on a project?

SM: Probably working on the independent zombie film Biophage. Zombie make-up is a lot of fun because you can use so many random things you'd never imagine.

On the set of Biophage

RM: Such as?

SM: Pencil shavings, bits of sponge, Taco Bell sauce... *laughs* You name it and you can probably use it to some effect. It's all about your attention to detail.

RM: Steve, I'd like to thank you for your time and your contributions to the world of horror.

SM: Anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment